Neverwinter: Infernal Descent Patch Notes
New Story line, The Infernal Descent
The Vallenhas family has many secrets and some of which are unknown even to the heirs of their estate. Players must help them, not only will you learn about their hidden past but you’ll be plunged into the consequences of decisions they made a long time ago. Players must work with a familiar friend and new allies to save lives and gain power.
New campaign: Descent into Avernus
Follow the story of the Vallenhas family’s infernal descent and make progress in the new campaign. When players finish the campaign they’ll earn more Boon points and unlock access to the new dungeon, the Infernal Citadel.
New Dungeon: Infernal Citadel
This new module brings a new endgame dungeon which is a step up on the difficulty from the Liar of the Mad Mage. Entry to this dungeon requires campaign progress and a high item level. Players will need your wits to survive the tricks and trials ahead.
The Bank slot purchases and some other purchases can only be made through the Zen Market instead of context sensitive mini-market prompts.
Content & Environment
- Acquisitions Incorporated: Players now can create tokens (Bind to Account), to give alternate charters discounted progress in the campaign
- Acquisitions Incorporated: The Campaign can be bought out
- Attack at Dawn: Chapter one of the Dwarven King quest line and is now given at level 70 instead of 60
- Characters created through a Recruitment Order purchase starts closer to Sgt. Knox
- Collecting the Past: This quest now properly directs players to open the journal to get to the campaign list
- Invoking the Gods: Aralynn the Pious now properly has a quest progression overhead indicator
- NPCs engaging in fake combat should no longer spam the combat log
- NPCs that saluted the player prior to Mod 16 now properly do it again
- Various minor issues; such as floating objects have been fixed
- Various minor text issues have been fixed
Icespire Peak: The Icy Guardian: the adds have been removed from the final encounter.
The Spy who back stabbed me: The duergar who say they’ll attack you now actually does so.
Information Gathering: Interacting with supply crates no longer has a chance to trigger an ambush.
- Cradle of the Death God: returned to the Random Trial Queue
- Castle Ravenloft: returned to the Random Dungeon Queue
- Lair of the Mad Mage: now in the Random Dungeon Queue
- Storm the Keep: Paladin and Fighter now have access to the Damaran Shield and the Damaran Tower Shield in this event.
- The price of the Paladin weapon has been adjusted to match other weapon sets with two visuals.
- Protector’s Jubilee: Drop a Note in the Well: Wererat ambushes do not appear in this quest anymore
Combat & Powers
- Darkened Storyteller’s Journal: this artifact now follows the expected artifact stat growth and it will now have all of its stat types represented at lower ranks.
- Darkened Storyteller’s Journal: this artifact has been brought back in line with other similar artifacts.
- The lifetime of its projectiles is now lowered by 5 seconds
- The projectiles can’t affect the same target for more than once per 2 seconds
- Eye of the Giant: The damage dealt by this artifact is now consistent over its duration
- Sigil of the Guardian: Now properly mitigates 90% damage at Mythic quality for more than the first hit
- All boons are now properly given at the same item level per rank, some have incorrectly given extra item level
- The Boon points have been recalculated, some players have had their powers automatically retrained due to this change
Dev Note: “When we updated the boon system in Mod 16, some characters had been erroneously given up to 3 extra boon points. This makes sure that every boon points is accounted for.”
Classes & Balance
- The Battle rage now increases damage by 20% from 15%
- Frenzy: Cool-down time is now 18 seconds from 20 seconds
- Relentless Battlerage: Decreases Battlerage damage to 14% from 10%
- The following power, class feature, and feat magnitudes have been changed:
- Brash Strike: Up from 85 to 90
- Frenzy: Up from 700 to 750
- Focused Light: now gains 100 magnitude from Radiant Judgement, it had incorrectly only received 40
- Perfect Balance: Burning Shift and Radiant shift now adds +1% damage per stack
- Angel of Death: This feature now activates at 26 stacks which was reduced from 30
- The following power, Class Feature, and Feat magnitudes have been changed
- Lance of Faith: 85 up from 80
- Sacred Flame: 80 up from 70
- Into the Fray no longer knocks hawk companions out of the air.
- The class mechanics “Dig In” and “Seethe” now cancel any at-will attacks currently in use, rather then queuing up behind the current at-will
- The feat “Striker’s Mark” is no longer limited to affecting the daily “Mow Down”. It’ll now increase the magnitude of all of the Dreadnought’s dailies by 400 against targets affected by Commander’s Strike.
- Following power, Class feature, and feat magnitudes have been changed:
- Cleave: +35 from 25
- Brazen Slash: +75 from 55
- Shield Bash: +30 from 20
- Guarded Strike: +85 from 60
- Heavy Slash: +135 from 100
- Reave: +45 from 30
- Commander’s Strike: +560 from 400
- Tremor: +340 from 250
- Griffon’s Wrath: +1050 from 840
- Onslaught: +420 from 300
- Earthshaker: +800 from 580
- Shockwave: +870 from 620
- Momentum: +300 to Bull Charge from 200
- Heavier Slash: +300 to Heavy Slash from 200
- Prepared Slam: +280 from 200
- Ricochet now deals 20%/50%/60% reduced damage to shield through bounce targets. The damage reduction decreased from 30%/60%/70%
- Aspect of the Falcon grants a %10 damage bonus
- Biting Snares: can now occur every 15 seconds instead of 20
- More than Disruptive now increases ranged damage by 10% for 5 seconds
- Prey is increasing range damage by 10%
- Slasher’s Expertise now increases melee damage by 10% for 10 seconds
- Stag Heart now states its duration in its tooltip
- Following Power, Class Feature, and feat magnitudes have been changed:
- Disruptive Shot: +300 from 250
- Longstrider’s Shot: +525 from 480
- Gushing Wound: (Both base and DoT) +300 from 280
- Thorned Roots: (against control immune targets) +150 from 100
- Hawk Shot: +210 from 170
- Focused: This feature now increases your current stance’s damage by 2% per second, to a maximum of 20%, reduce from 2.5%/25%
- Skimisher’s Gambit: This feature now reduces critical strike by +10,00 from 3,000 and increases Critical Severity by 25% reduced from 30%
- To the Wind: This feature now grants a 5% damage boost to Throw Caution, reduced from 10%
- Dazing Strike now mentions its interrupt effect
- Duelist Expertise now properly uses the same icon for its buff as its feat selection
- Blitz: When used while stealthed encounter cool-downs are now reduced by 2 seconds
- Dagger Threat’s maximum benefit is now given within 20 feet which is increased from 15 feet
- Gutterborn’s Touch now increases ranged damage by 5%, but no longer increases Awareness
- The following Pwer, Class Feature, and Feat Magnitudes have been changed:
- Impact Shot: +400 from 375
- Shadow Strike: +375 from 325
- Shuriken Toss: +45 from 40
- Vengeance’s Pursuit Base: +150 from 100
- Vengeance’s Pursuit Stealthed: +550 from 500
- Lesser Curse: Renamed to Curse, no functionality has changed
- Warlock’s Curse Consume renamed to Curse Consume, no functionality has changed
- Creeping Death: Changed to a stacking DoT that deals 10 magnitude damage per stack, every 2 seconds for 10 seconds
- Max stack count is 10
Dev Note: “This addresses an issue in which Creeping Death would constantly reapply each time the player attacked, never giving it a change to deal damage“
- Gates of Hell: Now properly affected by Warlock’s Curse
- Gate’s of Hell: now consistently strikes targets in the exact center of it effect
- Tyrannical Curse: now applies to the Curse effect
- Following Power, Class Feature, and Feat Magnitude have been change:
- Eldritch Blast: +35 from 30
- Dark Spiral Charge: +95-280 from 80-240
- Hellish Rebuke (Counter): +25 from 20
- Hellish Rebuke (DoT): +45 from 40
- Hand of Blight(Melee): +40 from 35
- Hand of Blight (Ranged): +50 from 45
- Arms of Hadar: +65 from 55
- Vampiric Embrace: +275 from 250
- Blades of Vanquished Armies: +25 from 20
- Hadar’s Grasp: +230 from 200
- Fiery Bolt: +200 from 175
- Dreadtheft: +395 from 340
- Hellfire Ring: +135 from 120
- Hellfire Ring (DoT): +220 from 200
- Gates of Hell: +865 from 750
- Curse: +12 from 10
- Parting Blasphemy: +85 from 75
- Essence Drain no longer shows a blank cooldown field
- Conduit of Ice: ticks +8 from 7
- Icy Terrain: ticks +10 from 9
- Ray of Enfeeblement: ticks -5 from 6
- Shield: updated functionality
- Shield now applies a normal shield to the character (Blue health bar)
- When the shield is depleted it explodes outward damaging and pushing nearby enemies
- If the shield is recast while still active the explosion still occurs a new shield is applied
- Chaos Magic: chance to trigger 5% from 10%
- A Step Above Mastery: grants 0.5% decrease damage from 1% per stack
- Arcane Presence: no longer grants 5% recharge speed
- Chilling Presence: grants 0.5% damage per stack from 1%
- Storm Spell: 20% chance to trigger on critical from 30%
- Critical Conflagration: Now affects AoE powers
- Directed Flames: now only proc damage from Smolder or Rimefire once every 12 seconds
- Rimefire Weaving: Reduces damage resistance of target by 5% when affected by Smolder or chill and by 10% when affected my Rimefire
- Known Issue: “Players can get two procs in a row, one from Smolder and one from Rimefire. This isn’t intended but we don’t consider use of this bug to be an exploit”
- Frigid Winds: deals 1.25% from 1% of extra damage per chill stack on the target
- Smolder: effects applied from Critical Conflagration now roll their own Crit chance rather than inheriting crits from initial cast
- Following power, class feature, and feat magnitudes have been changed:
- Icy Rays: +300-450 from 275-400
- Chill Strike: +450 from 400
- Shatter Strike (against control-immune target): +150 from 100
Enchantments & Enhancements
- Tenebrous Enchantment: this enhancement now has a 1 second internal cooldown
- Many of the existing item powers now share updated buff/debuff icons, so that their effects are more readable
- Bereserker’s Might: This power no longer keeps players in combat long after they’ve defeated the enemies in the encounter
- Demon Lord’s Immortality: Set bonus now caps 10% bonus damage which is reduced from 20%
- Damage taken while outside of combat now briefly disables out-of-combat health regeneration. Regen kicks back in after 3 seconds (ex: environment-based damage or DoT effects)
- Various minor fixes to power text have been made
Enemies & Encounters
- Sisters of Strahd: now possible to generate threat on the Sisters, even when they’re invulnerable to damage
- Arcolith: They maximum hit points have been increased
- Maximum hit point have increased
- Damage for the Strahd’s Lunge and Bloodflight has increased
Cradle of the Death God
- Damage for Cry of the Atropal has increased
- Soulmonger Cord: maximum hit points has increased
- The maximum hit points have been increased
- The damage for the Atropal’s arm swing is increased
- Acererak: Maximum hit points have increased
- Gnoll’s basic ranged attack damage has decreased
- Vellosk: Shadow Totems now stay put instead of sliding around
- Rothe Valley:
- Edge of Darkness: Egg sacs can no longer be knocked around
- White Dragonwing dragon cultists no longer have a short burst of speed when initiating their spin attack
Items & Economy
- A backened change has been made to how players’ items are handled upon loading in. This addresses reports of some players losing fashion items
- Alabaster Shield: properly converts to Refinement points instead of Black Ice
- Appearances now properly be applied to neck slot items that don’t have an innate appearance
- Legendary equipment can now be converted to RP
- Several items have their icons changed to match their in-game look
- Various early-game rewards have been looked at and updated
- There should be a smoother flow in gear from level 20-60
- The Will-O-Wisp: now properly completes collection entry
- New tier of Seals has been introduced: Seals of the Fallen
- 2x seals event works on Seals of the Fallen
- Where Seals of the Mountain use to drop now drop Seals of the Deep
- In addition to the new seals, the Seals awarded from random queues have been adjusted
- Trial and Epic Dungeon queues grant Seals of the Fallen for the first run they do in a day
- Successive Trial and Epic Dungeon queues as well as Skrimish and Dungeon queues will grant Seals of the Deep
- Seal vendors have also been updated to respect the new tier of seals
- Explorer’s Guild
- Required rank for Lonelywood, Bryn Shander, and Cold Run have reduced to 6 from 7
- Guild Mark cost of Explorer’s case have been reduced from 3,000 to 1,500
- Bags now bind to account on equip, instead of bind to character
- All character bound bags from Zen market in players’ inventories have been converted to account bound
- Change Appearance Token: renamed to Change Physical Appearance
- To reduce potential confusion about the Appearance tab on the character sheet
- Delver’s Currency Kit now states in its tooltip that it gives 500 Coalesced Magics instead of 500 Wooden Tokens
- Packs of Preservation Wards now reference “Upgrading” instead of “Fusing”
- 10x Packs of Preservation Wards now states that it gives 10 Preservation Wards instead of it giving 5
Character Creation & Alteration
- Preset and Advanced Appearance: choices have been changed to tabbed interface
- There’s a warning prompt if you try to go to the Preset tab after making changes in the Advanced tab
- The Alteration screen now defaults to the Advanced Tab, so that the players existing character appearance is not wiped out
- Character Sheet/Boon Points Tab: no longer flashes if players had unspent Boon Points from the phased-out PvP campaigns
- Completed collections now show a green check mark next to their icon and point display
- PvP Tab: Domination, Gauntlgrym, and Icewind Dale stats have been replaced with lifetime stats
- In order to more clearly communicate relative enemy difficulty, the rank of an enemy is now shown near their health bar with a number of pips corresponding to their rank.
- When a quest is blocked by specific requirements, it now displays as a yellow exclamation point over the contact’s head, and conveys the requirement in the contact dialog.
- When joining an instance while in a khyek, the Action Point indicator no longer breaks
Dev note: “Quests that require campaign progress are uniquely susceptible to interruptions in quest flow. We hope that this change will provide the clarity needed for players to progress.”
- Button to claim character specific VIP rewards now has an appropriate tool-tip when it’s deactivated
- The “Help” flow is updated, and the drop-down menus now properly populate with entries.
- Display Options now have a Field of View slider.
- To lighten the number of magnifying glasses on the main Sword Coast map, the overworld map has been updated to a tabbed interface. The map’s art has been updated in the process.
- The Featured tab no longer has a strange delay when scrolling through choices.
- The Zen Market now has Search functionality.
- The Zen Market’s contents have been reorganized into updated categories. We feel these will be more intuitive and easier to browse.
- When purchasing keys straight through the Lockbox UI, there is now properly a warning if the items will be bound to account.
Art, Animation, Audio, and Effects
- Heart of the Red Dragon: This artifact power’s audio has been tweaked.
- Jarl’s Gaze: This helmet now consistently has glowing eyes.
- Various minor clipping and display issues have been addressed.
- Example: Cardinal’s Coral Coif no longer hides ears on male characters.
- Exit portals at the ends of dungeons should now display more consistently, even if player machines are overloaded on visual effects.
- Ras Nsi’s “Rive” power should no longer have its warning effect follow the target player.
Performance and Stability
- Various tweaks have been made to improve stability in certain scenarios.